Do you have an enquiring mind, enjoy forming opinions through your research and want an A Level qualification that will support you to succeed in numerous sought after career paths? Then this engaging and interactive subject is a great option for you!
Grade 4 in GCSE History, if taken. If GCSE History is not taken, then a grade 4 in a traditional written subject, for example GCSE English Literature, will be essential. General entry criteria also applies.
The topics you study will see you exploring a number of events and how these shaped life in society today. Topics you will study include:
• The rule of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I and how their rule dramatically changed religious practices between Protestantism and Catholicism
• The political evolution of Germany 1871 – 1991 and the impact of radical political change on German society
• The quest for African-American equality and the leading figures in this battle between 1909-2009, along with exploring African-American popular culture has helped to combat racist attitudes
All of our teachers are subject specialists. Under their guidance, you will develop your critical thinking skills, and explore of how the past has shaped the world we live in today.
We offer unrivalled support, with a Study Hub and complimentary access to resources such as History Today and A Level History review.
Students will also enjoy visits to some unique destinations. Recent graduates have visited European destinations including Berlin and London, along with a range of university taster days.
The course is examination and coursework based. You will sit two exams with equal weighting which accounts for 80% of your final grade and your coursework accounts for the remaining 20%.
There are not many degree and career routes that A Level History does not support! Our young people progress to a wide range of university courses such as History, International Relations, Philosophy, English, Archaeology, Politics, Law and Anthropology. More widely, the skills you gain will support you to secure high quality jobs and apprenticeships.
News From the Department
Good to Know
A Level History is commonly required subject by universities and is often a requirement for courses at Oxbridge and Russell Group universities.
Where Are They Now?
Ancient History & History at The University of Nottingham