Do you want to gain skills that all employers are looking for? Our IT courses support all level of ambition, whether you are looking to gain foundation skills that will support you in a range of roles, or you want to work in the industry as a specialist, this is the course for you!
Because our Applied Information Technology qualification is available as a number of options, your choice will depend on your future career plans and how much of the technical aspects of IT you wish to study. This qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels and is therefore a full time study programme that supports a wide range of careers in the IT industry, and progression to degree level study.
General entry criteria applies.
Topics you will cover include:
- IT systems, including management of these and their uses in personal and professional situations
- Website development in HTML, CSS and JS
- Creating systems to manage information
- Using social media in business, and how technology can support business success
- IT project management
- Cyber security and incident management
- Programming - designing, developing and testing software
- 2D and 3D graphics
- IT service delivery
- Games development
- Software testing
- The internet of things
- Data modelling, including how it can be used to solve problems. You’ll put your skills to the test by designing and implementing a data model based on a brief
Educate, Enrich, Enlighten
We are proud of the unique experiences that are available to our students both inside and outside of the classroom. These will stretch and challenge you.
Our modern spacious classrooms provide a great place to learn. Our subject teachers are passionate, and you’ll be able to explore the application of IT in a real life context in a wide variety of ways – we regularly welcome Alumni and high profile guest speakers.
We are particularly proud of our industry links which enable you to apply your skills in a real life context, and make connections with industry specialists.
You’ll broaden your horizons and skills and build your cultural capital. Some of the experiences our students enjoy include:
- Work placements within leading industry employers
- Events such as our IMPACT day, where you will pitch ideas in a Dragon Den style event
- Team building trips, growing your confidence and skills in areas that employers are looking for
- You will be encouraged to undertake your Microsoft Office Specialist qualifications, helping you to stand out from the crowd and gain additional qualifications
- Trips to universities and visiting guest lecturers
Through your experience of practical activities and academic theory you will develop your self-confidence and communication skills. Inside the classroom you’ll enjoy a variety of teaching methods, including group work, role play and presentations.
Assessment is via presentations, group work and assignments and externally assessed exams.
This course supports you to pursue a range of diverse career paths – there are not really any professions that do not benefit from you being able to use IT. For example, spreadsheets are used to prepare financial budgets, and you will gain skills valued by the majority of employers. All of our qualifications support progression to industry, and we have strong links to local employers where you can apply your learning in a real-life context.
The qualification level you choose will relate to your chosen career path.
News From the Department
Good to Know
The topics you study will prepare you for a varied range of roles and degree level courses. As well as your programme of study you will also have the opportunity to attend guest lectures, and undertake additional qualifications such as the Microsoft Office Specialist. These experiences all help you.
Where Are They Now?
University of Huddersfield to study Computing