This course focuses on the skills needed for musical theatre performance including jazz dance, acting and singing skills, making it ideal for those who have a keen interest in Performing Arts. In addition to practical and theoretical learning, students are inspired by theatre trips and workshops led by visiting theatre professionals. This is a two year programme, and is equivalent to one A Level, so you will study it alongside two other subjects.
Areas you will study include:
• Musical theatre performance, including a performance of your own which may include solo singing, acting and dance routines
• Movement skills, and how the body is used as an expressive instrument. You will then use this knowledge in a creative context and manner
• The fundamentals of singing techniques
• Performing to an audience – using all of your knowledge and skills you will develop and deliver a performance suitable for a public performance
• Tap dance. This technique is essential for anyone intending to work in musical theatre or progress to higher qualification levels
• Singing techniques and performances. You will look at the technical aspects of singing in performance, and you will explore areas such as reading music notation from vocal scores
General College entry criteria applies and relevant experience will be required.
This is a highly practical course, and you should have a strong interest in this field. In addition to your core units, the course includes a singing class and a ballet class. A passion and interest is therefore vital.
Assessment is through ongoing assignment based work and can vary from written tasks to practical demonstration of skills.
Please note the awarding body for all BTEC qualifications recently made the decision to extend the current BTEC courses in our offer beyond 2018. This means that for 2018 entry, all Level 3 vocational subjects will continue to be assessed by coursework only, with the exception of Art and Design.
This is a great qualification for anyone with an interest in Performing Arts and can support progression on to higher education or the theatre.
Do you have any questions?
If there is anything you would still like to know about this course, please don’t hesitate to ask us.