After successfully completing the new, multi-functional, £600,000 Sports Barn in August 2013, Huddersfield New College, famed for its sporting excellence, held a fantastic four-day launch event for the new facilities, culminating in an official opening ceremony on Thursday 1st May 2014.
Monday 28th April
- 140 Year 7 pupils from Salendine Nook participated in a touch rugby festival with our Rugby Academy players. Giants stars Leroy, Eorl and Michael joined in.
- 140 Year 7 girls from Salendine Nook participated in a football festival on the 3G pitch with our Girl’s Academy.
- 25 primary pupils participated in a netball festival with our netball team in the Sports Barn.
Tuesday 29th April
- HNC Academy played Bradford City Academy on the 3G with around 80 spectators. We won 2- 1!
- Tony Whelan , Manchester United Academy Head of Coaching, gave an inspirational presentation to 70 students and staff in the IT café.
Wednesday 30th April.
- 30 primary pupils participated in an indoor cricket festival in the Sports Barn with our boys and girl’s Cricket Academy – special guest Laura Spragg, Yorkshire CC female cricketer presented medals and trophies.
Thursday 1st May
- 30 primary Gifted and Talented pupils from local primary’s participated in a disability session including wheelchair basketball and new age kurling – organised and led by Alex Potts and the HSLA students.
A canapé and drinks reception was held in the dining area, with live music from our second year musical students. Throughout the evening, collections for local charity ‘Life for a Kid’ were lead by Jamie Marsden, Head of Academies at New College.
Special guests included Danny and Jenna Brough, Eorl Crabtree, Michael Lawrence, Leroy Cudjoe and Colne Valley MP, Jason McCartney. Huddersfield Mayor, Cllr Martyn Bolt was on hand to officially open the Sports Barn; in lieu of the cutting of the ribbon, Cllr Bolt bowled a golden ball at a golden wicket- much to the attendees delight.
The evening concluded with a fantastic presentation for our Student Ambassadors, to recognise their work and achievements for the past academic year. Head of Sport, Gabriel Mellor said, “the provision of these fantastic facilities are helping to inspire the next generation of sporting stars”.