Huddersfield New College has revealed that during National Careers Week (1 – 6 March 2021) students are being encouraged to take part in a range of career boosting opportunities including a live webinar with the College’s in-house Careers team, in partnership with C&K Careers.
National Careers Week celebrates the importance and availability of careers guidance, and the role it plays in not only helping students to realise their ambitions, but explore the huge range of opportunities available to them.
Organisations and companies from across a wide range of sectors take part in this week, sharing practical and advice to support students to plan their careers and achieve their ambitions including specialist workshops, talks and opportunities to gain new skills. HNC is participating in the week by signposting students to a selection of these activities, and also hosting a special live webinar to mark the week.
Students can directly link to a series of opportunities taking place this week via the Careers section of Moodle. Each of these are being hosted and signposted to as they can either help a student future proof their skills, understand more about career options and indeed provide inspiration about the possibilities! HNC is using the week to promote and highlight a range of opportunities including:
• Monday (and all week): Pay a visit to the National Careers Week website to hear from young people about a variety of careers, and how they successfully pursued it as a path in life . Click here for details.
Fancy a career in the competitive STEM industry? We’re also sharing lots across the week from The STEM Hub here.
• Tuesday (and all week): Uni, an apprenticeship or even a degree level apprenticeship? Today we’re encouraging students to get the information they need to make an informed decision. UCAS are hosting a range of workshops on everything from writing a personal statement to making the choice between uni and the workplace. Find out more here.
• Wednesday webinar: We’ve collated a fantastic selection of webinars from across universities and employers covering everything from Student Finance to Oxbridge applications. Students can visit Moodle for inspiration and a full list of webinars.
• Thursday 12.15pm – 12.50pm: HNC & C&K Careers Live Webinar.
To mark National Careers Week, we are running a live webinar on ‘CVs and Application Forms’. This is being run by Nicki from C&K Careers, with support provided by Dan Odlin and Claire Ridley (College Careers Advisors). This is a fantastic opportunity for students to ensure their apprenticeship and job applications are as strong as they can be! A text chat function will allow students to ask questions.
Students will also be able to find out about the other support available to them. The event link is available on Moodle.
• Friday (and all week): Expand your horizons! During the week we’ll also shine a spotlight on the wider opportunities available to enhance their career prospects such as a Sutton Trust Summer School, life skills and virtual work experience. All of these opportunities and more can be accessed via the ‘Careers’ section of Moodle.
Dan Odlin, Careers Advisor comments: “National Careers Week is a real opportunity for our students to take a look at some inspiring activities that will support their career options in the future, and indeed will inspire them about some of the possibilities on offer! Employers, universities and other institutions are currently offering some really unique options that students can join safely from home. We’d encourage everyone to join our live webinar we’re hosting in celebration of the week too, not only is this a chance to enhance CVs and application forms, but is also a chance to find out more about the outstanding careers support on offer at HNC on a day to day basis.”