Are you looking for a lively, thought-provoking and stimulating course where you’ll develop your opinions whilst also developing your own creativity? Then we’d recommend that you take a look at our A Level English Language and Literature course.

The topics you study will build on your GCSE studies and expand your ability to discuss and develop your love of language and literature.

You'll need to meet the entry criteria for your chosen pathway.

For further information on the pathways, please click here.

Topics you will study include:

- Studying texts such as The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and Shakespeare’s Othello
- Exploring poetry including selected poems by Carol Ann Duffy
- A creative writing project

Studying A Level English Language and Literature is an exciting opportunity to study novels, poetry and plays along with the study of non-fiction, spoken and written texts to understand the concerns of the writers at that time, and the methods they use to create a reaction from their audience. This broad course also provides you with the opportunity to write creatively.

Your lessons involve plenty of discussion, debate and working with others. You’ll hone your debate skills, work on your communication skills, and written techniques and ultimately broaden your horizons.

During your lessons you will enjoy exploring writers’ techniques, some sociolinguistic theory and a range of genres of texts. Our teachers are all subject specialists, and through engaging lessons, you will explore new ideas and challenge your own thinking.

Outside of the classroom you’ll enjoy some outstanding experiences too such as regular theatre trips. You may also choose to write for our student magazine, the HNC Echo.

Two examinations account for 80% of your final grade whilst your coursework portfolio accounts for the remaining 20%. Your coursework portfolio is a personal investigation into a literary and non-literary text. 

English Language and Literature is a traditional subject, and is accepted by a huge range of degree courses. Of course, this subject has a natural link to careers such as Journalism, Teaching, Advertising, Human Resources, or even Law.

It is valued highly by universities and employers as it develops a wide range of transferable skills including the ability to debate, and articulate your views.

News From the Department

Good to Know

A Level English Language and Literature is one of the top five most popular A Levels choices and the skills developed in this course will be valuable in a range of careers and degrees.

Where Are They Now?

Ziden Ramage

University of Oxford to study History

Search Our Courses

Download Prospectus